Chef Audrey here. This is my healthful version of a popular holiday latte. This is the time of year everyone goes a little nutty for pumpkins. And rightfully so! Those holiday flavors are so comforting and delicious, right?!
What’s not comforting is what the typical latte does to the body. The typical lattes we’re all used to are made with processed sugars, corn syrups and other ingredients that drastically tax your immune system. Heading into cold and flu season, this is not the time to be taxing your immune system. This is when we want to build it up and help it thrive.
My Pumpkin Spice Latte gives you the flavor and experience of that favorite fall drink while actually boosting your immune system. My version doesn’t include coffee so feel free to trade out the hot water for coffee if that sounds good to you!
- 1 cup almond milk, gently warmed
- ¼ cup soaked cashews (soak for about an hour then rinse)
- 1 large date, pitted and chopped
- ¼ cup steamed sweet potato (skin on)
- ½ tablespoon maple syrup (local if possible!)
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin spice (clove, all spice, cinnamon, nutmeg)
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/3 cup hot filtered water (or more depending on how warm you want it)
- 1 cup whole, raw almonds, soaked 8-12 hours, drained, and rinsed (about 1 ½ cups after soaking)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 3 pitted dates, soaked
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- To make your almond milk, place 1 1/2 cups of the water and the almonds, dates, and vanilla in a blender. Blend on high speed until very smooth. Add the remaining 1 cup water and blend until smooth. To separate the “milk” from the almond skins and pulp, squeeze the blended mixture through a double layer of cheesecloth or through a sprout bag.
- To make your latte, blend all ingredients in your blender until very smooth. Serve with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top.
Want a visual on how to make it as well as a bonus recipe? Check out my segment on Indy Style where I share both the latte and my easy caramel apple recipe.
Want more delicious latte action? Come visit us at the cafe and check out our Herbal Elixir Menu!
See you soon,